Table of Contents
How to handle badgering calls from A R C Accounts Recovery (USA)
So you’re in debt! (not a death sentence) but often a frustrating and uneasy road to travel on. What makes it more of a nightmare is having a debt collection agency pestering you with unending calls in their bid to recover the debt owed. Debt collection agencies often go overboard when trying to make you pay up, some may resort to badgering you with unending and often annoying calls and messages, telling you of dire consequences of not paying up or even threatening you in some form or another. A R C Accounts Recovery (USA) is one of such companies whose job is to make sure you pay your debt. As scary and uncomfortable as the scenario above may sound, there is no need to get worked up or anxious about it, want to know why?
Because Debt collectors must act in accordance with the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act).
What is the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act)?
They are guidelines put in place to ensure fair debt collection, ensure that the rights of the consumer are not violated they also give the consumer an avenue to dispute and obtain information that proves the legitimacy of the debt. These guidelines must be obeyed by Debt collection agencies. If a debt collection agency has defaulted on any of these laws, they can be taken to court and fined up to $1000 if found wanting.
5 things you probably didn’t know about the FDCPA
1. Some debt collection cases result in massive wins for the consumers who can recover up to $1000 in statutory damages per lawsuit. It should also be known that punitive damages do not have a specific amount.
2. The FDCPA does not cover business related debt, the laws of the FDCPA cover personal and household debt but not businesses or individuals with business related debt.
3. The laws are concerned with third-party debt collectors excluding creditors.
4. The appellation “debt collector” could sometimes include lawyers. Creditors occasionally hire lawyers to help them recover debt, this however works under the FDCPA if such a person often engages in debt collection.
5. Some states have their own fair debt collection laws, these laws are in addition to those provided by the FDCPA, some of these laws protect consumers from both creditors and third-party debt collectors.
In what manner can A R C Accounts Recovery (USA) act that is against the FDCPA
There are conducts that are prohibited by the FDCPA when it comes to recovering debt, they include:
- Contacting you outside the hours of 8:00am to 9:00pm or at an inconvenient time.
- Being untruthful about your debt or the consequences of not paying.
- Publishing your name and address on the “bad debt list”
- Failure to stop contacting you even after informing them in writing that you do not wish to be contacted.
- Using abusive or disrespectful words when addressing you.
- Threatening to harm you in any form.
- Discussing your debt with third parties that have no business knowing about the case.
- Contacting you at your workplace after they have been informed not to.
- Contacting you directly after being briefed that you are being represented by a lawyer.
- Demanding injudicious amounts that are not permitted under an applicable agreement.
- Contacting you with the aim to embarrass or humiliate you.
- Threatening to arrest you when it is not permitted
Violating these laws can be termed as debt harassment and be treated as such.
Telephone Consumer Protection Laws under the TCPA
If you are plagued by frequent unwanted calls, it may seem like too much to handle. The good news is that the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) was primarily established to protect the rights of consumers like you. The TCPA bill was first passed in 1991 due to consumer complains about the increasing amount of unwanted telephone marketing calls made to them, and the frequent use of automated and prerecorded messages.
In response to the complains of consumers, the FCC established laws which stipulate that telephone solicitation representatives must provide:
- His or her name
- The name of the person or entity on whose behalf the call is being made
- A telephone number or address at which that person or entity can be reached
The law also bans telephone representatives from making solicitation calls to your home before 8 am or after 9 pm. It also requires telemarketers to comply with your request to not be contacted again.
The TCPA does not permit the use of automatic dialing systems, artificial or prerecorded voice messages, SMS text messages, and fax machines. The act also bans auto dialers and artificial or prerecorded voice messages programmed to contact your pagers or cellular phones. Calls for which a charge is made to the receiving entity are also not permitted. Anyone using an auto dialer or an artificial or prerecorded voice message to call you must also state their identity at the beginning of the message and give their address and phone number during the call.
Finally, the act restricts sending unsolicited advertisements by fax to anyone without their prior consent. If the Telephone Consumer Protection Act is violated then you may be entitled to $500 in damages for each violation.
You may have a case against A R C Accounts Recovery (USA)if they have acted in any of the following ways.
What to do if you keep getting unwanted calls from A R C Accounts Recovery (USA)
- Do not answer calls from strange numbers.
- Don’t engage the caller: many debt collectors make various threats in hope that you will respond emotionally. Do not give them that satisfaction.
- Hang up when necessary: if the collector is being rude or using profane words, does not say anything, or refuse to identify themselves, then hang up.
- Save any harassing messages you have received on your voice mail in case you need to present evidence of it in the future.
- Do not disclose personal information especially to an anonymous caller.
- Seek legal advice.
About A R C Accounts Recovery (USA)
A R C Accounts Recovery (USA) is a third party debt collector located in Saanichton, British Columbia. A R C Accounts Recovery (USA) is a debt collection agency
A400 – Keating X Rd
Saanichton, BC V8M 2A5
Phone: (250) 953-6900
A R C Accounts Recovery (USA) is often referred to or searched for by other names. These include:
ARO Inc.; A R C Properties Ltd.; A R C Accounts Recovery (USA) Corporation LLC; A R C Accounts Recovery Corporation
About this site (Telephone Harassment)
Here at Telephone Harassment, we are all about informing consumers about their rights regarding harassment from debt collectors, collection law firms and Original lenders. We also encourage consumers to share their experience dealing with collection harassment, legal threats or excessive phone calls to help prepare others for the kind of treatment they are likely to receive. We alert consumers of scams, and notify them about the harassment and scare tactics that many collection agencies employ, many of which are against phone harassment laws.
Call us now on 844-791-1990
A R C Accounts Recovery (USA)may be contacting you from the following numbers:
A R C Accounts Recovery (USA) BBB Information
BBB file opened: 19/7/2005
Consumer Rights Law Firm Center BBB information
BBB Rating: A+