Table of Contents
Is Northtown Capital Services Group Harassing you?
When certain debts get old, creditors sell them to third party debt collection agencies like Northtown Capital Services Group. They in turn are tasked with the responsibility of getting the debtors to pay their debt.
So if you’re getting calls from collection agencies, there is a possibility that they’re calling about a debt you owe. It is legal for them to contact you and discuss. That is their job.
If you’re not aware of this, their calls may catch you off guard and may even scare you. If you receive a call from a collection agency and discuss with them from a state of fright and confusion, you may make mistakes. So it is good to be aware and prepared for things like this ahead of time.
Another knowledge you should have is about your consumer rights. The fact that you have debts does not mean that you do not have rights. You have rights under certain federal laws and it is pertinent that you be aware of them. Having this knowledge helps you in your dealings with collection agencies.
What collection agencies are allowed to do to you.
A lot of collection agencies are approved under the law and are allowed to contact you about your debts. Knowing this should make you know that you shouldn’t just ignore them but should pay some attention.
They are allowed to:
- Call you
- Send you letters
- Remind you about your debt often
- Call your workplace (If you haven’t told them not to)
- Contact your friends or family to request for your address or number
- Sue you: Collection agencies can sue you concerning your debts and this can lead to wage garnishment. If you don’t show up in court, you lose by default.
What collection agencies should not do to you
Debt collectors have restrictions which are placed on them by federal laws. Their debt collection practices must be fair, honest and not threatening. When a debt collection agency begins to do any of the following to you, they maybe violating laws under the FDCPA and you should take actions against them
- Harass you: It is illegal for debt collectors to practice any form of harassment. Things like making threats, communicating using obscene and profane words, calling repeatedly, and sharing or publishing information about you are all harassment and are prohibited by the FDCPA.
- Come to your workplace: Debt collectors should not visit you at your place of work. They shouldn’t even call you if you have told them that it is not allowed.
- Arrest you for a debt: Debt collectors are not allowed to just show up and arrest you for debts unless you have defied a court order.
- Contact you for a debt you don’t owe: Debt collectors should not call you and ask you to pay for a debt you don’t owe. If this happens, confirm that you actually do not owe then ask them to stop calling you.
- Call you at odd hours: Unless you ask them to, debt collectors should not call you before 8am and after 9pm.
- Feed you with false and misleading information.
- Call your family members or friends and disclose details about your debts with them.
About Northtown Capital Services Group
Northtown Capital Services Group is a third-party debt collector located in Buffalo, New York. The company provides Billing and Accounts Receivable services to customers across the United States.
Buffalo, NY 14225-1980
Phone: (833) 807-6656
Northtown Capital Services Group is often referred to or searched for by other names. These include:
Northtown Capital Services Group, LLC
About this site (Telephone Harassment)
Here at Telephone Harassment, we are all about informing consumers about their rights regarding harassment from debt collectors, collection law firms, and Original lenders. We also encourage consumers to share their experience dealing with collection harassment, legal threats or excessive phone calls to help prepare others for the kind of treatment they are likely to receive. Call us now on 844-791-1990
Northtown Capital Services Group may be contacting you from the following numbers:
Northtown Capital Services Group BBB Information
BBB file opened: 4/23/2019
Consumer Rights Law Firm Center BBB information
BBB Rating: A-